2013 BMW R1200 GS Touring Motorcycle: UK pricing released
BMW Motorrad does sell a select range of its global motorcycle in India as well, through a couple of dealerships. One such motorcycle imported and sold in India is the BMW R1200 GS touring motorcycle. The R1200 GS is a legend of sorts amongst motorcycle touring enthusiasts as the motorcycle is known for its touring friendly nature and the almost indestructible feel it exudes. BMW Motorrad has given this motorcycle a major revamp and here are all the details of the many changes effected on the 2013 R1200 GS, including the pricing.
Firstly, the heart of the matter gets a complete revamp. The air/liquid cooled boxer engine displaces 1170cc and outputs 125 Bhp-125 Nm. Apart from the higher power and torque figures, the engine uses a new cooling system to cool critical areas of engine. That said, the rest of the engine remains air cooled. This engine is mated to a six speed manual gearbox that drives the rear wheel through a shaft drive system. While the base variant of the motorcycle gets ABS as standard, it is the two other variants, the Touring and the Enduro versions, that get most of the additional new features.
- Completely newly designed engine for top-level riding dynamics within the travel enduro segment.
- Capacity 1170 cc, rated output 92 kW (125 bhp) at 7700 rpm and a maximum torque of 125 Nm at 6500 rpm.
- Cylinder heads with vertical through-flow for increased efficiency and performance.
- Compact air/water cooling for optimum heat management.
- Basic engine with compact, light and yet rigidity-optimised crankshaft.
- Vertically separated case in open deck construction.
- 6-speed gearbox integrated in engine housing, including wet clutch with anti-hopping function and reduced lever operation force.
- New intake system for optimum output and torque with 52 mm throttle valve diameter.
- E-gas for improved ridability, running smoothness and special functions.
- Innovative exhaust gas system with electronically controlled exhaust flap for optimum performance characteristics and an earthy boxer sound.
- Freely selectable riding modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” with three different electromotive throttle actuator settings in conjunction with ASC (Automatic Stability Control), ABS and ASC settings for off-road riding as well as different mode-specific Dynamic ESA settings (option ex works).
- New suspension with torsionally stiff tubular steel bridge frame and bolt-on rear frame.
- Optimised lightweight cardan shaft drive now running on the left-hand side.
- Newly developed and optimised Telelever at front and EVO Paralever at rear for an even more precise ride feel.
- Refined master chassis geometry data and long swingarm for excellent traction.
- Optimised seating width and position, and adjustable handlebars for even greater comfort.
- Optimised ground reach for rider (inner leg length).
- Tyre/wheel dimensions of 120/70 R19 at front and 170/60 R17 at rear as a world first, tailored specially to the R 1200 GS.
- Revised BMW Motorrad brake system with radially mounted Brembo Monobloc brake calipers at front and 2-piston floating caliper with enlarged brake disc at rear (Ø 276mm, previously 265mm).
- BMW Motorrad Integral ABS as standard.
- Semiactive suspension Dynamic ESA (ex works option).
- Main headlight with optimised light efficiency and LED daytime running light (ex works option).
- World’s first motorcycle with LED main headlight featuring integrated daytime running light (ex works option).
- New vehicle electrical system with partitioning of functions.
- Extended electric switch units.
- Electronic cruise control (ex works option).
- Preparation for navigation unit with Multi-Controller to operate the
- BMW Motorrad Navigator IV (ex works option).
- Windshield with one-hand operation for excellent wind and weather protection.
- Seat with multiple adjustment functions for perfect ergonomics.
- Number plate carriers quick to dismount for off-road riding.
- Increased ground clearance (+ 8 mm)
- New instrument cluster with on-board computer as standard. PRO on-board computer as an option.
- Four main paint finishes to choose from: Alpine White, Racing Red, Blue Fire and Thunder Grey Metallic.
- Extensive range of special accessories and rider equipment.
With all the additional features, the 2013 BMW R1200 GS stands heads and shoulders above its competition, mainly coming from the likes of the Triumph Tiger 800XC. Despite the additional features, BMW has managed to keep the price of the R1200 GS at a competitive level given that the base variant of this motorcycle now sells for 200 GBP lesser than the 2012 version. The 2013 BMW R1200 GS is priced at GBP 11,395 for the base variant, at GBP 12,435 for the Enduro variant going all the way up to GBP 13,815 for the top end Touring variant. Expect this motorcycle to be made available in India very soon given that BMW Motorrad imports the motorcycle directly through the CBU route.