Team ICB’s roving eye in the sky, EarthFusion, has swooped down on the Vehicle Research and Development Establishment(VRDE) at Ahmednagar in Maharashtra. For the uninitiated, VRDE is a premier automobile testing and homologation facility in India, much like ARAI of Pune. EarthFusion notes that the TVS Apache 220/250 has begun initial testing at VRDE and upon confirmation from out sources, we have a bunch of possible new details about TVS Motors’ new flagship motorcycle. The TVS Apache 220/250 is expected to be launched in India during 2014-15. Here are a few details of the Apache 220/250 our sources have divulged to us.
Fully Faired TVS Apache RTR used as an illustration
* The Apache 220/250 is still quite a while away from launch.
* The Apache 220/250 is expected to feature full faired and naked versions.
* The motorcycle will sit above the Apache 180 in terms of price and positioning.
* The 250cc Apache will be flagship motorcycle in TVS Motors’ two wheeler range.
* The Apache 250 could use an oil cooled engine instead of taking the liquid cooled approach.
* The Apache 250 is expected to be priced below the 1.3 Lakh rupee mark.
* The motorcycle is expected to come with ABS as standard.
* The oil cooled engine of the Apache 250 could come with fuel injection.
* Twin petal disc brakes will be standard.
TVS Motors is following a conservative strategy when it comes to product launches in the high performance motorcycle segment by choosing to concentrate on the commuter motorcycle and automatic segment. The reason behind TVS Motors’ focus on the commuter segment of two wheelers has to do with the fact that the premium high performance motorcycle segment, through one of the fastest growing segments in India, produces low volumes when compared to automatic scooters and commuter motorcycles.
TVS’ conservative approach towards high performance motorcycles hasn’t gone down well enthusiasts, who have now shifted loyalties to motorcycle makers such as Bajaj Auto, KTM and Honda. From the looks of it, the 2014 TVS Apache 250 seems more like an incremental improvement in the Apache range rather than like a game changer. In the coming months, TVS Motors will launch a 125cc automatic scooter and the all new Victor commuter motorcycle. Also on the anvil is the test launch of the Qube hybrid scooter, India’s first such automatic scooter.
I ride, I blog and I trip. This apart, motorcycles, vintage mechanical watches, people watching, camping and traveling are my other interests. Incidentally, I hold a engineering degree in electronics and work experience in computer networks and professional blogging. I live in Bangalore currently and you could get in touch with me at [email protected]