We’re just a few weeks away from the launch of the most hotly anticipated motorcycle of the year in India, the KTM Duke 390. Select media outlets have been given a launch preview of the KTM Duke 390 at Austria and this event includes a first ride of he motorcycle. Here are a bunch of details about the Duke 390 that have begun trickling onto the interweb, straight from Austria. The motorcycle will be launched in India by the middle of 2013 and is expected to be priced just above 2 lakh rupees. The streetfighter motorcycle will be the new flagship product in KTM’s Indian range.
* The Duke 390 features an all new gearbox with different gear ratios.
* The new 6 speed gearbox and different gear ratios will allow the Duke 390 to cope with the higher amount of power and torque that the 373cc engine of the motorcycle outputs.
* The Duke 390 sold in India will be shod with Metzeler M5 Sportec tyres.
* These tyres are said to be deliver better grip in the wet.
* The fact that KTM is choosing to go with Metzelers for the Duke 390 that’ll be sold in India is a change from the norm. The Duke 200 sold in India comes shod with MRF rubber even as export versions get Metzelers.
* The Duke 390 shares its crankcase castings with the Duke 200. However, the top end of the engine of the Duke 390 is all new unit.
* A forged piston and a chrome plated cylinder on the Duke 390 means that the cylinder is an all new item that displaces nearly 175cc more than the Duke 200’s engine.
* The KTM Duke 390 will come with ABS as standard and this ABS system is build by Bosch and can be switched on and off.
* The Duke 390’s true top speed is 160 Kph.
The Duke 390 will be built in India with a high level of localization on most parts. Bajaj Auto’s Chakan factory, off Pune, will build the Duke 390, a motorcycle that will not just be sold in India but will also be sold across the world.